Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Japanese Spaghetti

In the few days we've been in Japan we haven't been eating well. Everything was foreign to us.

My partner, Donna Cruz, insists on McDonald's even though its a long 30 min drive from where we lived. 

One day our host decided to bring us to a park and while we were playing cooked food for us.

When we arrived home we saw this large plate full of brown noodles. I would later realize this was Yakisoba. I asked what it was and our host for lack of words just said, "Spaghetti"  my partner and I just exchanged looks and I knew what she was thinking, "there was no way this could be spaghetti"

 My young mind couldn't grasp the idea that a  spaghetti could be made without tomato sauce. Of course I would discover later that spaghetti was the name of the noodle and that yes, it can be served without tomato sauce. But at that time, the notion that this thick brown noodles is spaghetti was just incredulous.


No comments:

Post a Comment