Monday, December 25, 2017

its so hot inside this car

Our Pickups finally arrived and we were assigned to different cars on the way to the embassy where we will be picked up by our foster families. The Car assigned to us was an Opel Tigra, a car I’ve never seen before in the Philippines. One of the “Titos” (literally means Uncle, but in the Philippines it a generic word for any male older than you) wearing a light brown suede jacket asked us to ride in his car.

The ride was pretty good and there was no traffic. Vienna is amazing city to drive in during spring, so many colors and tulips on the center islands.  I really didn’t want to mention it but coming from the cool weather outside this car was stifling hot. I still had my jacket on but I was sweating bullets.


(I imagine this was how I looked) -image not mine


 In all honesty, what I really wanted to do was open the window slightly to let the cool air in. It was my first experience with a heater.

I was in the passenger seat and looked at the backseat, at my choirmates. Yes, they were suffering as well. I looked at our driver and he didn’t even break a sweat with his leather jacket on.

(Is it hot in here?)


 I tried to open the conversation by saying I’ve never seen a heater before. I guess he noticed I was sweating buckets and told me an interesting theory. Here is what he told me:

You kids haven’t adjusted to the weather yet. You still like the cold weather because it hot where we came from. But to him who lives with cold weather all year, a hot car or room feels very good.
(That still didn’t explain why we were sweating buckets and he wasn’t) To cut the story short he allowed us to open the window slightly to let some cool air in.

No comments:

Post a Comment